(July 8, 2020) Today, we have been notified that a staff member of our nursing home tested positive for Coronavirus (COVID-19). We are taking all precautions to stop the spread of this virus.
Our priority is to keep everyone safe and healthy and we are doing everything we can to stop the spread of this virus within our setting. Beginning in March we initiated aggressive, proactive infection control measures and screening procedures, which we believe will help us manage this case as effectively as possible. In addition, we are working in collaboration with the Minnesota Department of Health to ensure we are taking all appropriate steps at this time.
We immediately completed an Exposure Risk Assessment, and we believe the level of risk to other residents and staff is Low Risk. The employee was wearing all recommended PPE, was adhering to all recommended infection control practices, and did not have prolonged close contact with residents during the individual’s shift.
Out of an abundance of caution we are conducting testing for those who were in direct contact with the individual, and will keep the following enhanced restrictions in place until the test results are in and we can further evaluate.
Next steps: Effective immediately, here are some additional steps we are taking in response to this development:
- Enhanced Restrictions and PPE Use. All residents of Short Stay and Apple Blossom should be restricted to their rooms and cared for using transmission-based precautions (COVID-19 PPE) until further notice.
- Testing. All residents on Short Stay and Apple Blossom will be tested for COVID-19. In addition, many staff identified in our contact tracing exercise will be tested.
- Communal Dining. Communal dining is cancelled on ALL households until further notice.
- Small Group Activities. Small group activities are cancelled on ALL households until further notice.
- Outdoor Visits. Outdoor visits for residents of Short Stay and Apple Blossom are cancelled until further notice. Residents on the Woods and the Lakes may continue to schedule outdoor visits at this time.
Communication is key, and we will continue to provide updates on any news, emerging issues, or additional changes in our operations. To stay informed, please return to our COVID-19 Information page or subscribe to our Email Updates.